Project barebackpad part one! Building from the bottom up, so first the cushions for extra support and keep the pressure of the spine.
I used 3 different materials for the cushions and build it up in 5 layers to make it thicker and softer. It's a bit different than what I have used to make pads for treeless saddles in the past so I don't know for sure if I will like it but that's why they will be detachable. These are the layers I used in the order they will be stacked on top of the horse:
han I placed layer number 5 underneath number 1, removed the two inlays and sewed the sheepy parts together creating a pocket for the inlays. Than flipped it inside out, put the inserts back inside the pockets and closed it up tightly by sewing it by hand.
To attach the two cushions together I used a wide nylon strap to sew them together while leaving space in between for the spine. And to make it a bit neater I also stitched a strip of the sheep underneath the nylon band so the bottom of the cushions don't have the band exposed.
I've kept the nylon strap longer than the cushions on both sides as I am not completely sure yet how I am going to attach everything together. But this is what it looks like so far:
To be continued...